Re: avahi-daemon

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 02:36:38PM +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
>  This is a desktop machine, it should permit sharing of files on your
>  local network.  DNS servers have their port 53 open to respond to name
>  resolution queries, just consider your desktop installation to be a
>  name server responding to stuff such as "what services are available",
>  "what shares are available" etc.

/me looks doumbfounded

Excuse me? Since when does a typical desktop machine provide users to share
*music* on a local network? (Don't tergiverse the fact that ahdavi is used,
in rythmbox, to share music, not files)

And for the same thing, why would a typical desktop machine provide users
to share even files! My desktop system at home (and my parent's and my
uncle's and whatnot) are completely stand-alone desktop systems, connected to
the Internet, with no LAN. They only need to talk to their (serial or USB
connected) printer, that's all!

I'm surprised that the over-bloat of Windows' desktop is now considered to be
the good way of doing things.

:-(

Javier