Re: When are security updates effective?

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:55:26 +0200, Rolf Kutz wrote:

> * Quoting Mikko Rapeli (mikko.rapeli@iki.fi):

>> > If there's anything special to do (e.g. kernel or glibc) we alredy add this
>> > to the DSA text.
>>
>> Yes, that's great, but some of the non-special cases are not that
>> obvious. Should I reboot or at least restart kdm after libtiff4 update?
>>
>> On one host I get the feeling I don't since 'lsof 2>/dev/null | grep libtiff'
>> returns nothing. Then again this would suggest, that at least kde/kdm
>> needs to be restarted:
>>
>> # apt-cache rdepends libtiff4|grep kde
>>   kdelibs4
>>   kdegraphics-kfile-plugins
>>
>> So which one is it?
>
> You can check with
>
> # lsof +L1
>
> It will show you open Files that have been
> unlinked. If any of those are part of the upgraded
> packages, you restart that process.
>
> - Rolf

Note that this has been broken since at most Linux 2.6.8. Relying on it
may cause you to not notice that some processes need to be restarted after
upgrading a package containing a shared library.

<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=264985>

I currently rely on both lsof and the psdel script I wrote, link to from
that bug report.

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 1024D/5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078