DSA 992-1 affecting other packages?

Hi,

I noticed today on Debian Weekly News that FFMpeg has had a
security-related bug.

Are you aware that ffmpeg in Debian ships static libraries? If I
understand correctly, this means other packages building against FFMpeg
(Xine, GStreamer and VLC comes to my mind) actually contain a copy of
the libavcodec library rather than linking to it dynamically - and must
then also all of them be rebuilt, pulling in the security-fixed library.

The reason for the static linking, I believe, is that FFMpeg upstream
has recommended to use static linking due to the ABI (or is it API) not
yet stable. I suspect, however, that this could be dealt with
differently for Debian (and I suspect this to be against policy, but
is incapable technically to take up an argument about that).

 - Jonas