Re: first A record of security.debian.org extremely slow

* Marc Haber:

> On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 08:06:48PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> * Geoff Crompton:
>> > I'm also wondering if security.debian.org has enough resources for every
>> > single debian box on the planet checking it every X minutes.
>>
>> You can use the DSA posting as a trigger.
>
> Usually, cron-apt has already noticed that there is an update
> available before the DSA posting comes in.

This is by design; the DSA is delayed until the archive has been
updated properly (which means that it has arrived at all mirrors).

> How would you implement the automatism to trigger the update on the
> incoming e-mail?

I typically use an Exim .forward file which invokes a special script
using "pipe".  The script creates a file, and a cron job which runs
periodically checks for the existence of that file and performs the
desired action when it exists.  This means that DSA sent in quick
succession only trigger the action once.