avahi-daemon

Hi,

as the package maintainer seems to ignore my complaint I forward the discussion to debian-user mailing list.

On debian testing the rhythmbox suggested to install the avahi-daemon that listens on all interfaces by default.

I think this kind of install behaviour is insecure even if the package maintainer does not agree.

In short I think: even if the user "should know what he is doing" when he updates his system it is not a secure design for packages to start listening on all interfaces by default without prompting AND warning the user. It is not sufficient to mention this behaviour somewhere in the package description as many packages come as a dependency or as a suggested package; users wont read every package description of every package they install, especially if they come as a suggested package or dependency.

best regards.

Sjoerd Simons schrieb:

> [...]
Yes, I think that was the reason.

I don't doubt that it has a quite secure design. Anyway, as soon as
something starts listening on the network this is a potential security
hole. In contrast to applications that are only contacting the internet
"on user's demand" (in example a webbrowser, email client or instant
messenger) this thing is always on and not depending on additional user
interaction, therefore it is a different level of 'taking care'.

I did not have problems to remove it from the system, I just wonder why
something gets installed and opens a port and starts listening to all
interfaces without asking me, esspecially if I did not directly ask for
this program. Do you really expect all users to read every line of every
program description? When you install Adobe or Java from sun, did you
read every single word in the license? Would you like it if Adobe just
opens some 'obscure' service listening on all interfaces?

Of course it does not make sense to install this daemon and listen only
on local host. Maybe the maybe the recommending should be removed but
this is another thing...

Anyway, all I think is that users should be prompted (in example as
portmap does it).

I suggest you add something like "xyz is a service that does blah blah,
... For most users this service should bind only to a local area network
and not to the internet. (If you need this service at all) Do you want
to bind to all interface?" - with no as default!

I would be very happy if you can add such a thing.

What do you think?

Edrin