Re: Bad press related to (missing) Debian security

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 11:26:37AM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> The security team has always been a difficult one to expand.  A strong level
> of trust is necessary due to confidentiality issues, and security support is
> a lot of (mostly boring and thankless) work.  However, expanding it seems
> like the only way to make it sustainable.

Even allowing uploads from the secretaries could be helpful.  Steve Kemp
has done a lot of good work in his role as secretary (much more than
I've ever done).  In cases where Joey is offline for an extended period
of time, having Steve or myself perform uploads might make the most
sense.  We already have some state WRT the current issues, and have all
the same patches that Joey has.  It's mostly a matter of coordinating
releases with other vendors and making sure that the newly released
package has the right changes applied and has a sane version number.

Part of the problem with security updates has to do with the fact that
it's just difficult to coordinate the work.  Even when Wichert, mdz, and
others were more active, Joey still did most of the work because it was
often easier for one person to keep track of everything.  The secretary
position was originally created to help this situation, but it was never
really clear to me what my role was supposed to be.

noah