Re: safety of encrypted filesystems

also sprach Horst Pflugstaedt <horst@uni-duisburg.de> [2005.06.17.1018 +0200]:
> encrypt /dev/hda7, mount, fill it with some hundred small files
> (with known content), unmount, change one bit/byte/block on
> /dev/hda7 (using dd), remount, look for the remaining files and
> their contents.

I've tried that and the filesystem mounts without error. I have not
yet figured out where the corruption occurs.

It's an 8M filesystem (twofish) and I put an 8M file of all zeroes
in there. After unmounting and deleting the loop device, I overwrote
four bytes in the file with 0000. Saving, setting up the loop
devices, mounting... no errors.

**And the file is still all zeroes...**

So I guess there is error correction happening?

`. `'`

"work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do.
 play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do."
                                                       -- mark twain