Re: telnetd vulnerability from BUGTRAQ

On Friday, 24 September 2004, at 16:15:09 -0600,
s. keeling wrote:

> Is anyone still using telnet when there's ssh?  Why?  I wouldn't even
> use it inside my own firewalled LAN.  ssh is just better.

Yes, many people have a curious sense of "computer security". They ask
for mega-cool (and MEGA expensive) hardware commercial firewalls but
keep on using telnet to access remote boxes (even using "root" or
similarly privileges accounts).

Maybe customers just ask for what we are offering them, and there seems
to be little market (in money terms) for SSH implementations, so they
are told about the needs of "high-end" firewalls and IDS, but not warned
about simpler, cheaper and more important things like not using telnet
(or even r-commands).

Greetings.

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Sid (Linux 2.6.9-rc1)