Re: Hacked - is it my turn? - interesting

hi ya noah

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Noah Meyerhans wrote:

> > turn off those ports ... kill ingress and whatever uses elite
> >
> > and keep poking around with nmap till it doesn show those
> > ports listed
>
> Those ports are not showing up as open.  'Filtered' does not mean open.

yuppers... good point ... and i prefer it to not show up at all ...

> If you run 'iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 1524 -j REJECT' you'll get
> this exact behavior, with nothing listening on these ports.

and am wondering, why explicitly reject those ports and not
explicity reject other ports that is also not used ...

have fun
alvin

hopefully.. nobody has a iptable config of 64k lines of rejects :-)