Re: Hardening named.conf

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Dale Amon wrote:

> I've finally been annoyed enough by spammer hits on
> my DNS that I've pulled out the BOG for the first time
> in several years.
>
> What I'd like to accomplish is the following:
>
> 	* allow-query for a specific list of addresses
> 	  to use the server for their dns resolution.
>
> 	* allow-query to the universe for zones
> 	  (domains and subdomains) that are hosted
> 	  as primary or secondary on the server but
> 	  drop all other requests.
>
> 	* I already limit zone xfr's to specific
> 	  machines.
>
> I'm not clear on how to do the first and second without
> them interfering with each other although I'm sure
> it can be done.

dont forget to harden the server itself  ( lots of stuff ) ... :-)

and update/fix  /etc/host.conf
	http://burks.brighton.ac.uk/burks/linux/rute/node23.htm

c ya
alvin

> I am leaning towards an options allow-query with a
> an access list and adding allow-query to each zone
> to allow-query all if I can figure out how to do that.
>
> If some kind soul knows off the top of their head, it
> would save me the better part of an evening and perhaps
> wee hours of the morning.

#
#
# Example primary or secondary /etc/named/named.conf
# ---------------------------------------------------
# 	recreating off the top
#
#
# To Check the Syntax
# --------------------
#	named-checkconf named.conf
#	named-checkzone named.your-domain
#
#
# Other Example Files
# -------------------
#	http://Linux-Sec.net/DNS/
#
#
// acl "allowed_to_transfer" {
//     { 10.1.1.0/8; 1.2.3.4 ;  2.4.6.8; };
// };

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        /*
         * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
         * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
         * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
         * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
         * port by default.
         */
        // query-source address * port 53;
        //
        // allow-transfer { allowed_to_transfer; };
        //
        allow-transfer { 1.2.3.4; 2.4.6.8; 192.168.1.; };
        allow-query { any; };
        version "Go away!";
};

//
// a caching only nameserver config
//
controls {
 inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; };
};

zone "." IN {
        type hint;
        file "named.ca";
};

zone "localhost" IN {
        type master;
        notify no;
        file "named.local";
        allow-update { none; };
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        notify no;
        file "named.local.rev";
        allow-update { none; };
};

include "/etc/rndc.key";

//
// Local machine names
//
zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        notify no;
        file "named.lan.rev";
        allow-update { none; };
};

//
// Your Domain -- Primary DNS
// -------------
//
zone "z.y.x.w.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "named.your-domain.rev";
        allow-update { none; };
};

zone "your-domain.com" IN {
        type master;
        file "named.your-domain";
        allow-update { none; };
};

//
// Secondary DNS  -- uncomment for Secondary DNS
// -------------
//
//## zone "z.y.x.w.in-addr.arpa" IN {
//##         type slave;
//##         file "ZX/your-domain.rev.zx";
//##         masters {
//##                w.x.y.z;
//##        };
//## };