Re: telnetd vulnerability from BUGTRAQ

Quoting Richard A Nelson (cowboy@debian.org):

[Snip MVS mainframe priesthood standing in way of OpenSSH installation.]

> I typically use cygwin on *MY* laptop, but when away from that -
> I try not to install random software on other's boxen

The usual remedy is to pull down putty.exe (tiny) and launch it directly
from download, in which case it exists on disk only briefly in your
browser cache.  This works even on locked-down cybercafe machines that
won't allow you to run apps off your flash/floppy/mini-CD drive.

> ok, I should've said to/from my laptop (and occaisionally other boxen)

Try PuTTY.  You'll like it.

> The point remains that while telnet/ftp should be treated as deprecated
> when feasible, sometimes there just aren't alternatives.

My entire document (http://linuxmafia.com/ssh) is devoted to documenting
why that argument fails to hold water.  ;->  (Reminds me:  I should
mention, there, that MVS port.)