apache / exe process taking 99 % cpu

Hi list,

I have a apache process which takes 99 % cpu. Its not common that a apache
proc takes that much cpu on this system. I noticed it on my rrd load and
cpu usage graph. It's on since yesterday about 22:00.

top also lists the process with a name of "exe". Running under the user id
of www-data. I couldn't find it with ps auwwx until I tried some other
params of ps. It looks to me like if it the process is somehow
camouflaged. Could that be?

root@gandalf [~] ps -l -C exe
  F S   UID   PID  PPID  C PRI  NI ADDR SZ WCHAN  TTY          TIME CMD
040 R    33  6358     1 89  77   0 -   370 -      ?        00:00:04 exe

root@gandalf [~] ps -lf -C exe
  F S UID        PID  PPID  C PRI  NI ADDR SZ WCHAN  STIME TTY
TIME CMD
040 R www-data  6360     1 95  79   0 -   370 -      15:47 ?
00:00:04 /usr/sbin/apache

I tried to strace the process, but I have to be fast. The pid changes
every 15 seconds, according to top.

root@gandalf [~] ps -l -C exe
  F S   UID   PID  PPID  C PRI  NI ADDR SZ WCHAN  TTY          TIME CMD
040 R    33  6398     1 99  77   0 -   370 -      ?        00:00:03 exe
root@gandalf [~] strace -p 6398
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) ---

As you can see, the process seems do die with SIGALARM.

My question is, have I been hacked? Could that be a CGI program gone wild?
Of course I could stop apache, but that's not what I want. I'd like to
figure out where this comes from.

TIA

Timo