Re: Chkrootkit

Hi,
this is not exactly a reply to your question, just a general pointer:
whatever you do, don't rely solely on chkrootkit. One woody-box I know
of just recently got cracked, and had the viceroy rootkit installed. It
was a very poorly done rootkit to boot (ls, ps, netstat etc were all
dynamically linked to libc.so.5, which didn't exist on the machine,
/sbin, /bin and /usr/sbin had tons of ext2-attrs attached, /var/log was
wiped and syslogd killed etc).

Turns out, the latest debian chkrootkit (0.40?) didn't find a thing and
declared the box as clean.

After seeing that I recommend tripwire over chkrootkit to anyone that
asks, even if tripwire is higher in maintanance.

Regs,
Sven

--
Sven Riedel                      sr@gimp.org