Re: Network stress testing

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 11:31:25AM -0600, xbud wrote:
> Hi Dale,
>
> Stress testing networks can be quite tedious depending on what type of 'real
> simulation' you have to abide by.
> If you have a budget take a look at an appliance called 'Flame Thrower' I
> forget who the vendor is ATM, but it was complete in regaurds to stress
> testing IDS's.  We used it at my old company about 2 years ago, and I'm sure
> it has been enhanced since.

It looks marvelous. But at $80K for the box... however they will do
on site testing at $2500/day. Might be a bit much but the decision is
not mine, I just pass on the suggestions.

It does look like a hellishly powerful test capability though. ttp://www.antara.net/

> If you have no budget and are just looking for a cheap solution (free
> opensource tools) then 'wget' for ftp / web traffic and tcpdump + tcpreplay
> are your friends with -nl options (this breaks real network traffic
> ofcourse).   I wrote several tools about 2 years ago ( I had just started
> coding then so excuse the poor code heh but they worked for me back then ;)
> SAT Tools on PacketStorm if you want to look at them.

I may well have to cobble something together like you and a few other
kind responders have suggested.

> *Note - These are probably not feasable for dns stressing.

And DNS is one of my worries. 1000 DNS queries in the first 1 minute
is a distinct possibility.