From: "Luis Gomez" <lgomez@infoemergencias.com>
To: <ymir@wolfheart.ro>; <debian-security@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2003 11:55 AM
Subject: own kernel vs debian kernel (was: ptrace exploit)

On Sábado, 12 de Abril de 2003 05:45, Birzan George Cristian wrote:
> This might be a stupid question

Hi all... let me ask another (probably) stupid question I've thought about
for
a long time.

I always try to use precompiled software as much as possible, software
coming
from the official debian sources, as this gives me the possibility to
upgrade
them all with a simple apt-get update && apt-get -y dist-upgrade ; however,
as for the kernel, I always download sources from an official kernel.org
mirror and compile them myself with the traditional method.

So my question is: what is the approach people take for this point? Do you,
sysadmins with lots of machines, apt-get install kernel-source, or do you
rather get an official kernel? What pros and cons has each of these points?
Am I missing something important?

TIA for your answers and advice

Pope

--