Re: Re: ssh X forwarding problem

Quoting First Last (njdj@hotmail.com):

> Noah Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> wrote:
>
> >I have the exact same problem [...]
>
> >I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that /home is an NFS
> >mount,
>
> It's reassuring to find out I'm not alone with this problem!
> My configuration is different, I have no NFS mounts at all.
> So the problem can't be related to NFS.

Taking part in problem solving....

Just to assure the conditions:

	1) you are using Debian Woody ?

	2) xbase-clients are installed on both ends and!! on every
	   in-between (if any) ?

	3) your are using OpenSSH-packages from woody on both ends ?
	   ....or probably something self-compiled....?
	   Please assure the client and the server binary that works
	   in the connection!

	4) you are connecting with: ssh -X user@remotehost

	5) sshd_config on $remotehost is configured as such:
		X11Forwarding yes
		X11DisplayOffset 10
	   and(!): restarted with this configuration before you connect ?

	6) echo  $DISPLAY
	   on $remotehost shows something like:
	   "localhost:15.0"

Definitely the Woody binaries make no difficulties if you assure 1)-6)
That is for shure and proven for hundreds of practices.

I'm talking about  ssh 1:3.4p1-0.0woody1 "Secure rlogin/rsh/rcp replacement (OpenSSH)"
of Debian stable.

You get it from:
http://security.debian.org/debian-security/pool/updates/main/o/openssh/ssh_3.4p1-0.0woody1_i386.deb
The sshd of this package is situated in /usr/sbin/ , dated from Jun 27 2002
and its size is 276200 bytes.
The ssh client of this package is situated in /usr/bin/ , dated from Jun 27  2002
and its size is 230248 bytes.
Please try a test whith "which ssh" and "which sshd" on both ends.

If you have deviations in your setup you know where to search first for
reasons of your problem.

Bye,
Karl-Heinz