SSH version identification (was Re: Someone scanned my ssh daemon)

Hi,

On Tue Jun 17, 2003 at 10:44:01 -0400, Phillip Hofmeister wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 at 11:56:36PM +1000, Mark Devin wrote:
> > I was going to say exactly this earlier in the thread.  I put this
> > in My
> > Apache config quite some time ago when I realised I could.  There
> > should
> > be something similar in the sshd_config in my opinion.
>
> File a wishlist bug with the ssh package.

The issue of the sshd identification string has been discussed
previously
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2002/debian-security-200210/msg00318.html).

It was suggested to edit the source of sshd, hexedit the sshd binary, or
to file a bug
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=139505&repeatmerged=yes).

An advantage of being chatty in the identification string is that Debian
backports security fixes to the versions in stable, which is visible in
the identification string (it specifies the package version).  This can
be used to pacify over-excited network admins, who think that someone
has unpatched machines on their network.

Personally, I would like to have a configuration option in
/etc/ssh/sshd_config.  There seems to be such an option in FreeBSD's
sshd (mentioned in the thread referenced above).

Regards,

uLI