Re: Bind9 stopped after 34 days of uptime

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 09:16:12AM -0500, Phillip Hofmeister wrote:
> This is on a Pentium 100 MHz with around 32 MB of RAM.  The box itself
> has been up 134 days.  This is the primary internet server for
> zionlth.org.  Traffic to this domain is modest...

I have a feeling that it's possible to misconfigure bind9 in such a way
that it fails periodically.  I had it running on a 200 MHz box with 32
MB RAM, and it failed occasionally, with no indication as to why.
However, I've since re-worked named.conf, and have not experienced an
unexpected failure in the past 6 months.  The original named.conf was
used with bind 8, and I just kept it when I upgraded to bind9 (except
for the logging configuration, which changed significantly).  It was
when I ditched the old named.conf and re-wrote it for bind9, including
more refined logging configuration, that stability was greatly improved.

Of course, for a lot of the time that bind9 was crashing, it was running
versions prior to the version that was actually released with woody,
since this box was running woody before it was released.

noah