Re: Stack-smashing protection

Sorry, I didn't say it as it really is...

"It shows an 8% overhead on function calls, which should be the upper bound on
the real costs of running programs under this protection system. The overall
overhead of guarded programs varies with how many functions are called that
have character array. Figure 10 shows a program's name, its description, the
number of functions declared, and the number of functions used with character
arrays. In most cases, the usage of a character array is less than 10% of the
functions. It isn't the same as the ratio of the number of functions
executed, but there is a some correlation between them."

Some overhead examples are in the web page
("http://www.trl.ibm.com/projects/security/ssp/node5.html#SECTION00051000000000000000";
quite a nice URL ;-)

Perl 4%
ctags 1%
impad 0%

So it isn't really that the hole system runs 8% slower. Sorry for my first
explanation... Now I think it is an overhead which is afordable seeing its
benefits.

A Friday 06 December 2002 23:13, Thing va escriure: