RE: SSH1/2 compression (was: `SSH2 Encryption')

On Mon 10 Jun 2002 18:00, Anne Carasik wrote:

> > After reading the manpage to quote above, I noticed that it's
> > only applicable to SSH1 anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.
> > :)
>
> What, compression? Compression should work with both SSH1 and SSH2
> protocols.

Yes, that's what I was referring to.  Liberally quoting man ssh again:

CompressionLevel
             Specifies the compression level to use if compression
             is enabled. The argument must be an integer from 1 (fast)
             to 9 (slow, best). The default level is 6, which is good
             for most applications.  The meaning of the values is the
             same as in gzip(1).  Note that this option applies to
             protocol version 1 only.

Now, given that statement, I would have to say:  one, strictly speaking
this verbiage doesn't say compression isn't possible in SSH2, only that
"this option", i.e. CompressionLevel, applies to SSH1 only; and two, it
seems I'm able to select compression for an SSH2 session without any
complaints from SecureCRT, though that certainly doesn't disprove the
above excerpt.  So I really don't know.

Perhaps this is a situation where the man page is either in error or
lags behind the capability of/updates to the software, neither of which
are unheard of.

In any case, I've learned quite a bit about SSH from all these threads
and I'm enjoying using it for the first time locally.

Thanks again,

Jeff Bonner