Re: Say, wheres 2.2.20?

[snip snip]

 > Personally, I compile and install kernels by hand (i.e. make
 > menuconfig; make bzImage; make install)  What's the advantage of using
 > make-kpkg?  I use stable/2.2.20 on my servers and testing/2.4 or 2.5 on
 > development boxes.

I used to do the same.
Well, for one, make-kpkg is less error-prone (who has never forgotten to run
lilo after installing a new image? :) It will even make a backup
lilo entry for the previous kernel.

But the biggest plus for me is that ``make-kpkg modules_image'' will build
debs for _all_ kernel modules that have been installed from *-source packages
(e.g. alsa, lm-sensors). That makes kernel upgrades a simple matter of
make oldconfig; make-kpkg clean && make --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
&& make-kpkg modules_image && dpkg -i ../.....

Oh, and it can apply patches too (although not port them to newer
kernel versions ;)

 > --
 > Martin Orr                                   "Cogitavi ergo fui."
 > Linux Administrator,
 > Methodist College Belfast

 > The opinions expressed in this e-mail are mine personally, and should not
 > be interpreted as representing those of the College or the CCC unless
 > explicitly stated otherwise.

Rgds,
/-sb

--

Stelios Bounanos <sb@dial.pipex.com>          /*\
  ..............7500000 years later:          \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign