RE: SSH log weirdness

On Fri 07 Jun 2002 16:27, Vineet Kumar wrote:

> > Whenever I logout from an SSH2 session now, I get the
> > following in my /var/log/messages:
> >
> >    June  4 19:36:26 firegate sshd[24364]: PAM pam_putenv:
> >    delete non-existent entry; MAIL
>
> I'm not sure exactly why it's carping like that, but take a
> look at your /etc/pam.d/ssh . Removing the noenv option from
> the pam_mail line should make that complaint disappear from
> your logs. I'm not sure I understand why, but that's how it
> tests here. I've got one machine whose pam_mail line looks
> like this:
>
> session    optional     pam_mail.so standard
>
> and another with:
>
> session    optional     pam_mail.so standard noenv
>
> and the latter gets complaints exactly like you describe each
> time a user logs out (or more precisely, closes the ssh session).
> Commenting it out (so that it the config was like the other
> machine) silenced it.

Hmm, interesting.  Mine reads thusly:

   session    optional     pam_mail.so standard noenv # [1]

Not sure what the business on the end means, but I definitely have
the `noenv' as you said.  I'll take it out and see what happens the
next time I login with SSH.

> If you play with this, test to make sure that the MAIL environment
> variable is being set in a sane way and doesn't break anything for
> your users.

Well, only one user... me.  ;)  But my SET environment does *seem*
to be proper, pointing to /var/mail/jeff.

Thanks,

Jeff Bonner