Re: Secure 2.4.x kernel

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 10:17:35AM -0500, Gary MacDougall wrote:
> In the kernel (ok, stand up you kernel guru's!), when a
> "segmentation fault"  is raised, I don't care where, doesn't the
> kernel get some sort of notification event?

Of course the kernel knows.  The kernel is why seg faults can happen.
Recall the days of Windows 95 and MacOS < X where those operating
systems did not have much (any) memory protection.  Programs were free
to dance all over memory, blowing away random bits from the system.  The
OS did not keep track of such accesses and it was unable to take action
to prevent a program from accessing the memory used by other programs or
even the OS itself.

With a real operating system (like Linux), the kernel manages what
memory is allocated to whom, and the kernel is the one that terminates
the program when it tries doing something it shouldn't.

Just for fun, try using the kill command to send a SEGV signal to some
(expendable) process.  That process will segfault!  This is precisely
how the kernel terminates a process when it's committed a segmentation
violation.

So, in short, seg faults *come*from* the kernel, so of course the kernel
knows when a program segfaults.

I know that in (at least) FreeBSD, all segfaults are logged to syslog.
That's a pretty neat feature, and it can help to alert you to possible
security issues.  I don't know if that's possible in Linux.

noah