Re: Apt-get is insecure

Previously jereme wrote:
> Can/is the checking of these signatures, (and fetching the appropriate
> developer keys) integrated into apt-get?  What am I missing?

Apt works at a different level: it deals with download packages and
archives, so it will not verify the signature that is embedded in
a deb package.

There is a seperate plan for verifying signatures using apt. From
memory this goes as follows:

* deb packages are installed in the archive
* the MD5 checksum for each package is listed in the Packages file
* the MD5 checksum for each Packages file for a release is listed in
  the Release file
* the archive creates a signature for the Release file that apt can
  verify

So by following the chain of MD5 sums apt should be able to verify
that a package originates from a a specific release. This is less
flexible then debsigs since it does not work on a per-package basis
but by combining them you have a very powerful system.

Wichert.

 /wichert@wiggy.net         This space intentionally left occupied \
| wichert@deephackmode.org            http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |