Re: VI wrapper for SUDO? - another bad way ??

Gerfried Fuchs writes:
>* William R Ward <bill@wards.net> [2001-12-03 00:50]:
>> Right; but assuming one takes care of this kind of issue, is there
>> anything inherently unsafe about running shell scripts through sudo?
>
> shell scripts usually call other programs - whose behavior could be
>most of the time changed with env-variables.  It's almost impossible to
>think of all those things.

Yes, it is difficult, but if one is conscientious enough about
checking all the environment variables and such it can be done.

>> I understand that there are risks of race conditions with setuid shell
>> scripts, and so they are disabled on most Linux boxen.
>
> You have a misinformation/misinterpretation there.  It's not disabled,
>it's simply not possible in the way scripts are run.  They are passed to
>the program that is given in it's first line, after the #! - or to the
>current shell, if there is no such line.  As *argument*.
>
> If you think about it how should the suid/sgid bit from an argument be
>given over to the program which handles that file?  There's no way other
>than using wrappers, like sudo.

It's been an option on traditional Unix systems for a long time.  When
kernel runs the interpreter listed on the #! line, it does so with
suid/sgid access enabled.  It's not really any more difficult than
launching binaries.  It's the kernel, not the shell, that parses the
#! line.  I'm not sure in what ways Linux may differ from traditional
Unix on this point, however.

>> Is that also an issue for sudo shell scripts?
>
> You should give sudo access to a shell script only to those persons who
>you trust.  After all, think about it - is root really needed there?
>Most parts don't really need root but can be done through group usages,
>like most things in Debian works.  That gives you another level of
>abstraction/security.

A lot of things, like sendmail for a prominent example, may use group
accounts but still expect the files to be owned and writable only by
root.

> Btw, why was this mailed to debian-security?  I don't see anything
>related to debian in that, some general linux (security)
>mailinglist/newsgroup would suit better.

Because the thread originated there.  The original idea was
debian-related, in that I wanted to be able to have /etc/alternatives
be consulted when deciding what editor to invoke.

--Bill.

--
William R Ward            bill@wards.net          http://www.wards.net/~bill/