Re: Logging practices (and why does it suck in Debian?)

 Ah, sorry.  bigfoot is running unstable, actually.  Some of my other
machines run testing, but I've got the unstable package repository in my
sources.list (and Default-Release "testing"; in /etc/apt/apt.conf, so
unstable doesn't get used by default, but I can install packages from it.
see apt-preferences(8).  I just found this feature in apt a couple weeks
ago, and I love it. :)

slightly off topic but..
I always found this aspect of debian a little puzzling. Debian to me is a collection of packages. It makes sense that some of these packages would be "stable" and others would be experimental but it never made sense to me that just because you subscribe to stable you should be stuck with some ancient version of apache, mozilla or whatever.

Ideally the packages themselves should be labled stable, milestone, snapshot (or something similar) and you ought to be able to subscribe to packages themselves. This way if you trust the authors of a package (say postgres) then you could subscribe to postgres snapshot, but if you are not so sure about mozzilla you could subscribe to mozilla milestone.

Anyway back to your regularly scheduled programming.

             Tim Uckun
      Mobile Intelligence Unit.
   "There are some who call me TIM?"