Re: Logging practices (and why does it suck in Debian?)

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 05:06:06PM -0600, Tim Uckun wrote:

> I couldn't agree more.  apt-get will install postgres 6.5 in potato.
> Postgres has gone through two versions since (7.0 and 7.1).
> It kind of defeats the purpose of apt if you have manually build everything
> anyway.  Especially considering that most sites use a combination of
> apache/php/postgres all of which have newer versions.

It does defeat the idea of apt as the all-powerful binary grabber/installer,
but I've been pointing my deb-src lines at woody or sid for some time now.
For many packages, at least, a simple apt-get source (packagename) and a look
through the Build-Depends: line of debian/control before compiling fixes my
problems.

That way, I get newer versions of postgres, zope, apache, whatever,
but don't have to completely upgrade to woody or sid. Those lazier,
more impatient, or less CPU-capable than I might want to look into
Stephane Bortzmeyer's list of unofficial apt sources to see if anyone
has already built something you're looking for.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu