Re: MD5 sums of induvidual files?

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 02:46:53PM -0700, Brandon High wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Michael Boman wrote:
>
> > Is there a repository of MD5 sums for single files in a package?
>
> Look under /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.md5sums
>
> I don't know if there is an automated method of verifying that the sums
> match currently installed files though.

 debsums.  or if you boot from a floppy,
mount /dev/root-fs /rootfs
cd /rootfs
md5sum -c /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.md5sum

 Of course, this is mostly useless because the md5sums are on the same disk,
and they could have been replaced just as easily.

 The main utility of debsums is if you crash your system and fsck reports
damage.  You can use debsums to find out which packages to
apt-get install --reinstall.

 If you weren't going to upgrade for a while, you could put your .md5sums
onto a read-only floppy, along with an md5sum binary and a kernel.  (you'd
have to gzip them, but they would fit if you did.)

 You can also use debsums to generate md5sums for packages that are missing
them.  This would be a good idea before making a floppy.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y