Re: Logging practices (and why does it suck in Debian?)

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 07:49:27PM -0600, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> Packages rarely stand alone... they depend on other packages, particularly
> shared libraries.  It is hard to pull packages from unstable without finding
> yourself pulling in a number of shared library updates, at which point the
> rest of your system isn't really "stable" any more.

 Yeah, I noticed that.  Even between testing and unstable, some unstable
packages require libc6 >= unstable's version so I get the unstable libc.
The biggest problem here is that to tell apt you only want the unstable
version of a package so you can use some other package, you have to pin it
with the preferences file.  If you don't, then apt will track the unstable
version of that package, even if that isn't needed to keep the unstable
version of some other package happy.  Sometimes, you can just wait a bit and
testing will catch up with where unstable was, and apt should just upgrade
to the newest testing version.

 Well, I guess it's a pretty handy feature that works well most of the time :)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y