Re: sshd port config and security

* Patrick Maheral <pmaheral@AAI.ca> [010406 16:57]:

> Is the firewall blocking all traffic that has a destination port 22, or
> or a source port 22?  If only the latter, you can tell your ssh client
> to use a high port number.  With OpenSSH, from work I use:
>   ssh -P home 		# connect using a high source port
> or
>   ssh -2 -v -P home	# same as above, but force protocol 2, be verbose
>
> Otherwise, my connection fails.

hmm, i'm using nt at work, so i use putty.  i know there is a way to
specify destination port.  how do i specify source port (like ssh -P)?

also, as long as i use sshd and an ssh client to communicate back and
forth, does it matter which ports they use?  isn't one port as good as
another in this case, since the encryption is handled by the server and
client?  is it less secure because i am using port 23 instead of 22?
hope not.

vinh