Re: secure install

In message <20010217185915.C5875@animus.fel.iae.nl>, Carel Fellinger writes:
>On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 11:30:26AM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
>> To avoid this problem use "find . | cpio -padm /target"
>
>yep, but I'm old, so I'm stuck with tar:), besides I heard cpio doesn't
>handle hardlinks well, it bluntly copies the files:(  Not sure though,
>never tested it myself, nothing found in the info/man pages, so testing
>time...And yes it preserves hardlinks:)

Yes, both tar and cpio work, but the fastest way I've found is to use dump
and restore.  Works best if you have a whole partition to copy.  However,
it's much faster than the cpio/tar approach.  cpio and tar is good for
piping through ssh.  :)

--
Ted Cabeen           http://www.pobox.com/~secabeen         secabeen@pobox.com
Check Website or Keyserver for PGP/GPG Key BA0349D2      secabeen@uchicago.edu