Re: who owns the ports?

I find the netstat program to be much more useful and accurate than nmap
when determining what ports are doing what on your system.  For example:

# netstat -nlp | grep LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:515             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
16891/lpd Waiting
tcp        0      0 192.168.24.1:139        0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
11727/smbd
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:139           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
11727/smbd
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:40496           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
5855/licq
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:113             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
336/oidentd
<snip>

It tells you what IP/port is bound, and the PID and name of the process
using it.  On occasion you will find an PID without a process name
attached to it, but you can easily figure this out with a ps list :)

If you start noticing major discrepancies between nmap and netstat
(ex. nmap shows port 666 open but netstat doesn't) you may be in for a bit
of trouble.  Rootkits will change system binaries such as netstat, ps, ls,
du, login, etc in order to hide certain processes.  If netstat or any
other critical binary has been compromised, then you maybe missing
something in the output.  This is a whole other matter, much more serious
than a rogue fingerd ;)

--Henry