Re: 'export RESOLV_HOST_CONF= any file you want' local vulnerability

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 03:07:26PM -0500, Bob Bernstein wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Jan 2001 19:14:53 +0100, Wichert Akkerman opined:
>
> >  We're aware of it and looking into this at the moment, as well as
> >  checking if there are other similar problems we might have missed.
>
> Since this vulnerability is now "in the wild," so to speak, due to this
> very discussion, isn't it a good idea to make an announcement to the
> effect that at the very least fping should have its setuid root
> removed?

well it works with traceroute too and others, it's not a problem with
fping .
i tried it on a rh 6.2 :-( with glibc 2.1 and i can confirm it doesn't work

Samuele
--
Samuele Tonon  <samu@mclink.it>
Undergraduate Student  of  Computer Science at  University of Bologna, Italy