Re: anyone using telnet

on Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 01:07:51PM -0400, Peter Cordes (peter@llama.nslug.ns.ca) wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 08:58:06AM -0300, Pedro Zorzenon Neto wrote:

<...>

>  Don't even bother with telnet, it's obsolete.  Install sshd on any
>  machines that don't have it yet, and don't install telnet on the
>  public machine.

In this context, I agree with the statements above (a public access
kiosk should use SSH).  However, telnet of itself remains a useful
_client_, largely for accessing arbitrary services for testing.

I would tend to support rooting out all instances of telnet _daemons_
(servers).  However I don't see a great deal of harm in providing a
telent client to informed users.  Likely not those you'd find on a
public access system.