Re: Allow FTP in, but not shell login

Kenneth Pronovici wrote:

> >  you can change user's shell to /dev/null
>
> Well... it doesn't look like I can log in via telnet or FTP without
> a valid login shell.  I tried that with various entries other than
> /dev/null ...

If all that is needed is web page upload access, you could try
installing WebDAV[1] and then disabling ftp entirely. Passwords for
WebDAV are those used by apache for restricting access.

You'd have to get them to use a WebDAV client though. I use "sitecopy"
on unix and "Goliath" on MacOS. Dunno about Windows. Hmm, I think the
"web folders" feature of Windows is actually just WebDAV.

[1]: http://www.webdav.org

--
Mike.Moran@ee.ed.ac.uk
                   Web: http://houseofmoran.com/