issues with pdflatex and font creation in scientific software ?

Hi All,

for some time now I have my package Feel++(a library and language for
pde solving) that has issues on some platforms with (pdf)latex and the
generation of fonts

I get this message while building the documentation of the software

kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi 600 ecss0900
mkdir: cannot create directory `././.texmf-var': Permission denied
mktexpk: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktexdir
/.texmf-var/fonts/pk/ljfour/jknappen/ec failed.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

!pdfTeX error: /usr/bin/pdflatex (file ecss0900): Font ecss0900 at 600 not foun
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

anyone having similar issues ?
any ideas ?

on amd64 and i386 flavors no problems but on the other ones I got these failures
https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=feel%2b%2b

Best regards
C.
--
Debian Developer - member of Debian Science
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience