Re: Packaging scientific datasets for Debian

On 12109 March 1977, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
>>   http://ftp-master.debian.org/wiki/projects/data/>
>> Although it makes the impression that everything is already done, I
>> don't know if that is actually true. Does anyone know about the current
>> state of this effort?
> I don't know.  But given that data.debian.org doesn't resolve, I'd
> guess that nothing is set up.  The wiki page you reference suggests it
> is an ftpmaster team consensus position, so I cc them now.  Maybe
> someone there can chime in.

We are waiting for hardware with enouggh diskspace. This is aboout there
(ftpmaster.d.o replacement).

>> Ideally, we could come up with a mini-policy for dataset packages. It
>> should not be overengineered, but it might cover things like:
>> - package naming, e.g. 'dataset-<meaningful name>'
>> - predictable and common location in the filesystem (maybe it should make
>>   it easy for an admin to relocate all packaged datasets to a dedicated storage
>>   device)
>> - some grouping by purpose (although many datasets can be used for
>>   different things) or type of data (MRI, pictures, sound
>>   databases, genome, ...)
> I like all these suggestions.  I don't have a strong position on how
> to arrange the data, but my gut feeling is to use a single root under
> which it is grouped by purpose as you suggest, leading to
> /usr/share/data/<group>, for example.

Maybe. But dataset packageswill only be a subset of stuff I think goes
to data.d.o :)

--
bye, Joerg
[http://www.youam.net/stuff/info...-hosting.de/server-info.php]