Re: building package with different libs

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 12:34 -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
> > To make this a bit more realistic: It is about package meep-mpi.
> > Currently it uses libhdf5-serial and there is a requet to build it
> > with libhdf5-mpich and libhdf5-openmpi. So my Build-Depends: in the
> > source section needs to contain either libhdf5-serial-dev,
> > libhdf5-mpich-dev or libhdf5-openmpi-dev. Is it still possible to
> > build package meep-mpi-hdf5serial, meep-mpi-hdf5mpich and
> > meep-mpi-hdf5openmpi?
>
> The right way to solve this, IMO, is to fix libhdf5 to provide the
> same API and ABI, possibly in a separate libhdf5 package, which
> dlopens (or similar) the appropriate -serial/openmpi/mpich adapter
> bits.

Good luck with that.  MPI almost seems designed to be ABI-incompatible.
That's why there are so many -mpich -lam -openmpi packages around.  It's
a >decade-old problem, and won't be solved any time soon.

One solution is to standardize around the "latest and greatest".  With a
lot of old MPI implementations merging and steering their development
effort into OpenMPI, that seems to be a leader in this regard.  But it's
not on all of Debian's platforms, see Bug 376833.  So I have petsc,
babel, hypre and a couple of my others using OpenMPI on its platforms
and LAM where there's no OpenMPI.  It's a big headache!

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/