Re: Software for poster presentations

Hi Stuart,

Stuart Prescott wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As a brief respite from packaging discussions, here's a user question:
>
> What software would you use or recommend for preparing a poster for
> presentation at a conference? [0]
>
> A few things come to mind straight off -- perhaps existing users can make
> comments on these things:
>
> * openoffice impress or draw: I guess these would be the same as doing a
> poster in powerpoint, with the same limitations. Does it work OK?

I've made a poster this way (with Impress), and it works as well as can
be expected (i.e. no worse than Powerpoint).  From memory, there are two
major limitations:

- If you have a very large poster, I think Impress has some arbitrary
limit (how stupid!) on the maximum size to which you can set the custom
page.  I guess this can be worked around by creating a smaller custom
page with the same aspect ratio, and then asking whatever print shop you
use to expand it to the desired size when put to hard copy.

- I had serious problems getting Impress to do something sensible when
importing colleagues' posters that were created with the Windows version
of Powerpoint.  Somehow it screws up importing objects created in
Microsoft's equivalent to Draw (forget the name).  For what it's worth,
the Mac OS X version of Powerpoint had exactly the same import problem
with these files (ah, Microsoft software, not even compatible with itself!)

best regards,

--
Kevin B. McCarty <kmccarty@gmail.com>
WWW: http://www.starplot.org/