Re: creating movies from simulation output

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 03:11:58PM +0200, Matteo Semplice wrote:
> It is critical that the movie should contain my frames (say frame001,
> frame002, etc) at no more than 5 frames per second. Hence a dumb run of
> ffmpeg creates movies that run too fast.

You could still use ffmpeg or mencoder (same library) for that. If you
have your frames as JPEG-files try somethong like this:

mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf fps=5 -o yourfile.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=msmpeg4v2:vbitrate=1800

The quality is very good with bitrate 1800.

> 1- which movie format should I use to have maximum compatibility whilst taking
Movies are always a problem on certain (so called multimedia) OSs but
mpeg4 is a quite good standard and should work everywhere.

> advantage of compression? (Ideally it should be usable with \movie from LaTeX
> beamer)

Using a movie from Latex-Beamer is not a question of format but more
what video player and PDF viewer you are using. With kpdf and mplayer a
link in the TeX-file like this works fine:

\href{run:movie1.avi}{\includegraphics[scale=0.1]{shot0001.png}}

> 2- what's the best tool to create movies of the above format, at a chosen
> frame rate?

I would go with mencoder. Also have a look at this page, which helped me
a lot with the same problem.

http://electron.mit.edu/~gsteele/ffmpeg/

Greetings,
  Jörg :-)