Re: Installing the whole set of scientific packages

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 12:28:13PM -0500, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> hello,
>
> one of my professors just switched to Debian, and he was complaining
> that there was no easy way to install all of the scientific packages
> (compared to Fedora where he could just select the check mark next to
> "science" in their package manager gui and get everything he needed).
> instead he has to manually apt-get everything he needs with debian.
> is there any way to easily install all the scientific apps/libraries?
>
> thanks for any thoughts.  have a good day.
First, by the definition of the the Priority field, it is only
guaranteed to be possible to co-install all the
optional,standard,important,required packages.  extra packages can
conflict with each other, or packages of higher priority.  In practice,
even the set of !extra packages may not be co-installable (this is a
bug).

Anyway,
$ grep-aptavail -ns Package -F Section science --and --not -F Priority extra |grep -Fxv "$(for p in xmakemol php4-gpib netcdf-bin minc-tools gri gri-el dx; do echo $p; done)" |xargs sudo apt-get -y install
[...]
Need to get 337MB of archives.
After unpacking 963MB of additional disk space will be used.
[...]

The set of packages may need to be tweaked, depending on what your
available suites are, and what is in those suites.

Justin