Re: FTBFS due to gfortran

Hi Dirk,

On 6/2/06, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org> wrote:

As I understand it, gcc-4.0 is the default compiler, and gcc-4.1 will be the
default compiler soon. Unless I'm mistaken, neither one provides g77.  Sp
gfortran it is by default.  Or do I have that wrong?

My understanding is that the default FORTRAN 77 compiler is still g77
(from the gcc-defaults source package), which is a symlink to g77-3.4
(from the gcc-3.4 source package).  At least, the "f77" alternative is
provided by g77 but not by the gfortran package (gfortran only
provides an "f95" alternative).

From what I understand, gfortran is still considered experimental in
some ways, and is not yet able to compile some very old and ugly (but
syntactically valid) FORTRAN 77 and FORTRAN IV code (including parts
of cernlib, for instance).  I guess this issue would block a complete
transition to gfortran until it is fixed.  It might be interesting to
see which FORTRAN packages could not be made to build with gfortran,
however.  If only I had the time I might try this test myself.

"apt-cache rdepends libg2c0" (from g77-3.4 source package) gives 96
reverse dependencies, while "apt-cache rdepends libgfortran0" gives
only 23 (of which nearly all are related either to R or Octave),
suggesting that g77 is still mainly what is used.

Sort-of shows that few DDer care about Fortran ...

Pity, since a lot of exciting things are happening with it lately, and
lots of scientific software depends upon it.

best regards,