Re: New Debian ROOT (5.09/01) packages for i386 unstable

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 08:52:17PM +0100, Christian Holm Christensen wrote:

> > Attempts at guessing your architecture failed.
> > Please specify the architecture as the first argument.
> > Do './configure --help' for a list of avaliable architectures.
> > make: *** [config.status] Erreur 1
>
> Ah, this is really what I feared.   Could you tell me what's the output
> of
> 	uname -s | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]'
> 	uname -m | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]'
> 	uname -r

I am sending you the output for the three architectures I have under
my hand (namely sparc, powerpc and kfreebsd-i386, in this order) all
running sid.

> These are what the ROOT `configure' scripts uses to auto-detect the
> build host type with.   I suspect you get something like
>
> 	linux
> 	sparc
> 	*

Actually

	linux
	sparc64
	2.4.27-2-sparc64

	linux
	ppc
	2.6.14-2-powerpc

	gnu/kfreebsd
	i686
	5.4-1-486

> Could you also tell me the value of
>
> 	 dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE

	sparc-linux-gnu

	powerpc-linux-gnu

	i486-kfreebsd-gnu

> Then, I can implement a switch in either debian/rules or in `configure'
> to take care to get the right architecture.    Please also try to do
>
> 	./configure --help
>
> and see if any of the architectures listed match your system.

$ ./configure --help
`configure' configures ROOT 5.09/01 to adapt to many kind of systems.

Usage:     ./configure [architecture] [flag=value]

The architecture to build for will be guessed from the output of 'uname'.
If, however, that fails, or you don't want the 'native' compiler on the
host platform, you can specify the architecture to use by passing as the
FIRST argument one of the architecures given at the end of this message.

   FLAG            DESCRIPTION               DEFAULT
   --aclocaldir    Autoconf macro install dir(<prefix>/share/aclocal)
   --bindir        Binary installation dir   (<prefix>/bin)
   --build         Build configuration [debug, exceptions, ...],
                   overrides the ROOTBUILD shell variable
   --cintincdir    CINT interpeted headers   (<libdir>/cint)
   --datadir       Data installation dir     (<prefix>/share/root)
   --docdir        Documentation             (<prefix>/share/doc/root)
   --elispdir      Where to put Emacs Lisp   (<prefix>/share/emacs/site-lisp)
   --etcdir        Config installation dir   (/etc/root)
   --fontdir       Font installation dir     (<datadir>/fonts)
   --iconpath      Icon installation dir     (<datadir>/icons)
   --incdir        Header installation dir   (<prefix>/include/root)
   --libdir        Library installation dir  (<prefix>/lib/root)
   --macrodir      Macro installation dir    (<datadir>/macros)
   --mandir        Manpages installation dir (<prefix>/share/man/man1)
   --no-create     Do not create output files, dry run
   --prefix        Installation prefix       (/usr/local)
   --proofdir      PROOF utils dir           (<datadir>/proof)
   --srcdir        Sources installation dir  (<datadir>/src)
   --testdir       Tests                     (<docdir>/test)
   --tutdir        Tutorials                 (<docdir>/tutorial)

If any of the flags --cintincdir, --datadir, --docdir, --etcdir, --iconpath
--incdir, --libdir, --macrodir, --mandir, --prefix, or --proofdir is given,
ROOT will be compiled with static directory names, and you should not set
the ROOTSYS environment variable.

enable/disable options, prefix with either --enable- or --disable-
  afs                AFS support, requires AFS libs and objects
  alien              AliEn support, requires libgliteUI from ALICE
  asimage            Image processing support, requires libAfterImage
  astiff             Include tiff support in image processing
  builtin-afterimage Built included libAfterImage, or use system libAfterImage
  builtin-freetype   Built included libfreetype, or use system libfreetype
  builtin-pcre       Built included libpcre, or use system libpcre
  cern               CERNLIB usage, build h2root and g2root
  chirp              Chirp support (Condor remote I/O), requires libchirp_client
  cintex             Build the libCintex Reflex interface library
  clarens            Clarens RPC support, optionally used by PROOF
  dcache             dCache support, requires libdcap from DESY
  exceptions         Turn on compiler exception handling capability
  explicitlink       Explicitly link with all dependent libraries
  gfal               GFAL support, requires libgfal
  globus             Globus authentication support, requires Globus toolkit
  krb5               Kerberos5 support, requires Kerberos libs
  ldap               LDAP support, requires (Open)LDAP libs
  mathcore           Build the new libMathCore math library
  mathmore           Build the new libMathMore extended math library
  minuit2            Build the new libMinuit2 minimizer library
  monalisa           Monalisa monitoring support, requires libapmoncpp
  mysql              MySQL support, requires libmysqlclient
  opengl             OpenGL support, requires libGL and libGLU
  oracle             Oracle support, requires libocci
  peac               PEAC, PROOF Enabled Analysis Center, requires Clarens
  pgsql              PostgreSQL support, requires libpq
  pythia             Pythia5 EG support, requires libPythia
  pythia6            Pythia6 EG support, requires libPythia6
  python             Python ROOT bindings, requires python >= 2.1
  qt                 Qt graphics backend, requires libqt >= 3
  reflex             Build the libReflex dictionary library
  rfio               CASTOR support, requires libshift from CASTOR >= 1.5.2
  roofit             Build the libRooFit advanced fitting package
  rpath              Set run-time library load path on executables
  ruby               Ruby ROOT bindings, requires ruby >= 1.8
  sapdb              SapDB support, requires libsqlod and libsqlrte
  shadowpw           Shadow password support
  shared             Use shared 3rd party libraries if possible
  soversion          Set version number in sonames (recommended)
  srp                SRP support, requires SRP source tree
  ssl                SSL encryption support, requires openssl
  table              Build libTable contrib library
  thread             Thread support
  venus              Venus EG support, requires libVenus
  xml                XML parser interface
  xrootd             Build xrootd file server and its client (if supported)

with options, prefix with --with-, enables corresponding support

  afs                AFS support, location of AFS distribution
  alien-incdir       AliEn support, location of gliteUI.h
  alien-libdir       AliEn support, location of libgliteUI
  cern-libdir        HBOOK converter, location of CERNLIB libraries
  chirp-incdir       Chirp support, location of chirp_client.h
  chirp-libdir       Chirp support, location of libchirp_client
  cppunit            Cppunit testing, directory of the cppunit installation
  dcap-incdir        dCache support, location of dcap.h
  dcap-libdir        dCache support, location of libdcap
  dicttype           dictionary type: "cint" (default), "reflex", or "gccxml"
  gfal-incdir        GFAL support, location of gfal_api.h
  gfal-libdir        GFAL support, location of libgfal
  gccxml             Gccxml support, directory of the gccxml installation
  globus             Globus support, path to what should be GLOBUS_LOCATION
  krb5               Kerberos5 support, location of Kerberos distribution
  krb5-incdir        Kerberos5 support, location of krb5.h
  krb5-libdir        Kerberos5 support, location of libkrb5
  ldap-incdir        LDAP support, location of ldap.h
  ldap-libdir        LDAP support, location of libldap
  monalisa-incdir    Monalisa support, location of ApMon.h
  monalisa-libdir    Monalisa support, location of libapmoncpp
  mysql-incdir       MySQL support, location of mysql.h
  mysql-libdir       MySQL support, location of libmysqlclient
  opengl-incdir      OpenGL support, location of GL/gl.h
  opengl-libdir      OpenGL support, location of libGL
  oracle-incdir      Oracle support, location of occi.h
  oracle-libdir      Oracle support, location of libocci
  pgsql-incdir       PostgreSQL support, location of libpq-fe.h
  pgsql-libdir       PostgreSQL support, location of libpq
  pythia-libdir      PYHTIA support, location of libPythia
  pythia6-libdir     PYHTIA6 support, location of libPythia6
  python-incdir      Python support, location of Python.h
  python-libdir      Python support, location of libpython
  qt-incdir          Qt support, location of qt.h
  qt-libdir          Qt support, location of libqt-mt or libqt
  ruby-incdir        Ruby support, location of ruby.h
  ruby-libdir        Ruby support, location of libruby
  sapdb-incdir       SapDB support, location of sql.h
  sapdb-libdir       SapDB support, location of libsqlod
  shift-incdir       CASTOR support, location of stager_api.h
  shift-libdir       CASTOR support, location of libshift
  srp                Secure Remote Passwd support, location of SRP distribution
  srp-incdir         SRP support, location header of t_server.h
  srp-libdir         SRP support, location header of libsrp.a
  ssl-incdir         OpenSSL support, location of openssl headers
  ssl-libdir         OpenSSL support, location of libssl
  sys-iconpath       Extra icon path
  thread-libdir      Thread support, path to libpthread
  venus-libdir       VENUS support, location of libVenus
  xml-incdir         XML support, location of libxml/tree.h
  xml-libdir         XML support, location of libxml2
  x11-libdir         X11 support, path to libX11
  xpm-libdir         XPM support, path to libXpm
  xrootd             XROOTD support, path to alternative XROOTD distribution

Supported Architectures:

   aix                  for AIX 4.x xlC
   aix5                 for AIX 5.x xlC
   aixgcc               for AIX 5.x gcc >= 3
   alphacxx6            for DEC Unix cxx6
   alphagcc             for DEC Unix gcc
   alphakcc             for DEC Unix KCC
   freebsd              for FreeBSD
   freebsd4             for FreeBSD 4.x
   freebsd5             for FreeBSD 5.x and 6.x
   hpuxacc              for HP-UX 10.20 aCC
   hpuxgcc              for HP-UX 10.20 gcc
   hpuxia64acc          for HP-UX 11i v1.5 (IA-64) aCC
   hurddeb              for Debian GNU/Hurd with gcc and glibc
   linux                for Linux gcc 2.9x, gcc 3.x and glibc
   linuxalphagcc        for Alpha Linux gcc and glibc
   linuxarm             for ARM Linux gcc and glibc
   linuxdeb             for Debian GNU/Linux v2.1+ gcc and glibc
   linuxdeb2ppc         for PPC Linux based on Debian v2.0
   linuxia64ecc         for Itanium Linux Intel ecc and glibc
   linuxia64gcc         for Itanium Linux gcc 2.9x and glibc
   linuxia64sgi         for Itanium Linux sgiCC and glibc
   linuxicc             for Linux Intel's icc and glibc
   linuxkcc             for Linux KAI's KCC and glibc
   linuxpgcc            for Linux pgcc and glibc
   linuxppcgcc          for PPC Linux gcc and glibc
   linuxppc64gcc        for PPC 64 Linux gcc 3.x and glibc
   linuxrh42            for Linux gcc 2.7.x.x and libc5
   linuxrh51            for Linux gcc 2.7.x.x and glibc
   linuxsuse6           for Linux (SuSE v6.0) gcc and glibc
   linuxx8664gcc        for AMD Opteron and Intel EM64T Linux gcc 3.x and glibc
   linuxx8664icc        for AMD Opteron and Intel EM64T Linux gcc 3.x and glibc
   lynxos               for LynxOS with gcc
   macosx               for MacOS X with gcc
   macosx64             for MacOS X with gcc 4.0 64 bit mode
   macosxxlc            for MacOS X with IBM xl compilers
   mklinux              for MkLinux gcc and glibc
   openbsd              for OpenBSD >= 3.7
   sgicc                for SGI IRIX 6.x CC
   sgicc64              for SGI IRIX 6.x CC 64 bits
   sgigcc               for SGI IRIX 6.x gcc
   sgikcc               for SGI IRIX 6.x KCC
   sgin32gcc            for SGI IRIX 6.4 gcc using n32 ABI
   solaris              for Solaris CC
   solarisCC5           for Solaris CC 5.0
   solarisgcc           for Solaris gcc
   solariskcc           for Solaris KCC
   win32                for Win32 with VC++ and gdk based GUI
   win32gcc             for Win32 with cygwin/gcc

Help output is rather long, so you may want to pipe it through a pager, like
for example

  ./configure --help | more

Report bugs to <rootdev@root.cern.ch>

> and see if any of the architectures listed match your system.   Finally,
> if you could try in the ROOT source tree to do
>
> 	./configure linux
> 	make
>
> and tell me the outcome - I'll be really happy.

As it is rather large, I am sending it to you by private email.
Basically it seems to enter some kind of loop when extracting xrootd
source (I have interrupted it).

Thanks for your work on ROOT packaging,
Frederic