Re: Genetics Program

On 8 December 2005 at 07:16, Andreas Tille wrote:
| On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
|
| > The next Quantian release will have once again a large selection of tools
| > incl a complete set of BioConductor packages (that part is not in Debian) but
|
| What BioConductor version are you using?  The BioConductor movement to

Naturally the current BioConductor release 1.7.

| official Debian is a little bit stalled.  Matt Hope has an ITP, inofficial
| packages of an old version and no time to respond to any question.  I would

That ITP is officially dead. Action, if any, can be had around the pkg-bioc
project on alioth where we have some rough code to spew out hundreds of .deb
packages based on sources from both CRAN and BioC.

| love if we could get this beast into Debian but have no time to care
| for it personally.  Other people who claimed to have interest and wanted to
| do work on an alioth project I have started seemed to have lost interest.

Welcome to the club, but, as you know, whining alone doesn't get us there
either. [ It is also unclear, at least to me, whether adding some 120 (for
BioC) packages (or 600-some in the case of CRAN) to Debian en bloc is wise. ]
But I want the apt-get'ability of CRAN and BioC, maybe from outside archives.

One day someone with both an itch to scratch _and_ the will and time to work
on it will push this further. Steffen Moeller did the last iteration and
created a large number of apt-get'able packages.  But that site was a
one-off, hence has not been updated, was never fully checked against Policy,
Lintian et al and may also have gotten temporarily lost in his move from
Rostock to Luebeck. Steffen can tell you more.

Now, to make this a tad more actionable: Would someone want to make revival
of this an item for the suggested Estremedura workshops and get some people
in the same room for two or three days to push this further?  Anybody care to
run with that idea and organise it?

Regards, Dirk

--
Statistics: The (futile) attempt to offer certainty about uncertainty.
         -- Roger Koenker, 'Dictionary of Received Ideas of Statistics'