Re: Systems for writing a science app front-end

Claudio Belotti wrote:

We use:
- TCL/TK for front-ends.
- Octave to convert data sets.
- GnuPlot for realtime plotting the data.
- PostgreSQL for data storage.

maybe you can use octave also for plotting via gnuplot or via octaviz, octave VTK wrapper.

While I use gnuplot for 'quick' plots, it doesn't integrate very well in a GUI? I suppose you could render to png/svg and load them in :)

I've always thought about getting into octave, but for possibly the same reason as matlab and other specific-purpose languages/systems, it is difficult to know if the investment is worthwhile over learning a more general-purpose language - so far I just stick to c++ :) (well, and bash/shell tools, some python...)

If I start talking about PGSQL then I'm afraid that we'll move onto a different discussion entirely...ascii vs database vs netcdf vs HDF vs... ;)

Cheers,

--
Neil