Installation Report for Debian on S/390

Attached file is the Installation Report for Debian on S/390.

Regards,
Jae-hwa
--
Jae-hwa Park <kingcrab@linuxkorea.co.kr>
Consulting Group at LinuxKorea, Inc.

	    Installation Report for Debian GNU/Linux on S/390

		 Jae-hwa Park (kingcrab@linuxkorea.co.kr)

				2001/10/29

Environment      : MP3000-H50 (120MIPS, 2GB Central Storage)
		   VM/ESA 2.4.0 (+ PTF UQ42158 applied)
		   VM Guest (Guest Name: SHARK)
                   256MB RAM
                   1 dedicated 3390-3 DASD
		   1 CTCA (0E20/0E21)

Installation type: Initial IPL from VM Reader
                   Installation over Network

Preparation:
------------

- SHARK's PROFILE EXEC

	/* PROFILE FOR DEBIAN FOR S390 */
	'VMFCLEAR'
	'CP SET MSG ON'
	'CP SET EMSG ON'
	'CP SET RUN ON'
	'CP SET PF12 RETRIEVE'
	'CP SET RETRIEVE MAX'
	'CP TERM CHARDEL OFF'
	'CP TERM HOLD OFF'
	'VMLINK TCPMAINT 592 ( NONAMES'
	'SET SRM LDUBUF 300 200 100'
	'SET SRM STORBUF 300 275 250'
	'CP COUPLE 0E20 TCPIP 0E21'
	'CP COUPLE 0E21 TCPIP 0E20'

- TCPMAINT's PROFILE TCPIP

	TINYDATABUFFERPOOLSIZE 20
	MONITORRECORDS
	TIMESTAMP PREFIX

	ASSORTEDPARMS
  	 PROXYARP
	ENDASSORTEDPARMS

	DEVICE LCS1 LCS 4C10 LINK ETH1 ETHERNET 0 LCS1
	DEVICE SHARK CTC 0E20 LINK SHARK CTC 0 SHARK

	HOME
 	192.168.10.23 ETH1
 	192.168.10.23 SHARK

	PRIMARYINTERFACE ETH1

	GATEWAY
	210.216.29	=		ETH1	DEFAULTSIZE  0.0.0.255  0.0.0.0
	192.168.10.24	=		SHARK	8188	     HOST
	DEFAULTNET	192.168.10.1	ETH1	DEFAULTSIZE  0

	START LCS1
	START SHARK

Steps carried out during the installation:

1) Get the files for initial IPL from VM reader

   (Remark: "IPL" means "Initial Program Load" and corresponds to what is
            called "booting" on other systems.)

   - Log into VM as SHARK.

   - Get the files using ftp client

       parmfile   (kernel parameters for initial IPL)
       root.bin   (ramdisk)
       s390/linux (kernel for IPL from VM-reader, get s390-tape/linux
                   for IPL from tape)

     from following URL.

       ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/disks-s390/current/

   - Get the files like below

       ftp ftp.debian.org
       cd /debian/dists/testing/main/disks-s390/current
       ftp> bin
       ftp> locsite fix 80
       ftp> get parmfile parmfile.txt
       ftp> get root.bin root.bin
       ftp> get linux linux.bin

   - Create a file debian.exec on your VM guest for initial IPL with the
     following contents:

       /* */
       'close rdr'
       'purge rdr all'
       'spool punch * rdr'
       'punch linux bin A (NOH'
       'punch parmfile txt A (NOH'
       'punch root bin A (NOH'
       'ch rdr all keep nohold'
       'i 00c'

4) Initial IPL and network setup

   - From the VM console do an initial IPL by typing

       debian <ENTER>

     After booting successfully you will see following messages:

Welcome to Debian for S/390
Is your machine connected to a network (Yes/No) ?
y  <--
Select the type of your network device
1) for lcs osa token ring
2) for lcs osa ethernet
3) for qdio osa ethernet
4) for channel to channel and escon channel connections
5) for IUCV
Enter your choice (1-5):
4  <--
Please type in the channel device configuration options, e.g
ctc0,0xfd00,0xfd01
ctc parameter: ctc0,0x0e20,0x0e21
ctc0,0x0e20,0x0e21  <--
Please enter your IP address: 192.168.10.24
192.168.10.24  <--
Please enter the IP address of your peer: 192.168.10.23
192.168.10.23  <--
Please enter the IP address of the DNS server: 192.168.10.2
192.168.10.2  <--
Please enter your host name: shark
shark  <--
Please enter the DNS search domain: linuxkorea.co.kr
linuxkorea.co.kr  <--

Configuration will be:
Channel device   : ctc0,0x0e20,0x0e21
Host name        : shark
IP address       : 192.168.10.24
Net mask         :
Peer IP address  : 192.168.10.23
Net address      :
DNS IP address   : 192.168.10.2
DNS search domain: linuxkorea.co.kr
Is this correct (Yes/No) ?
y  <--
Architecture-specific modutils configuration not found, using defaults
CTC driver Version: 1.46  initialized
ctc0: read: ch 0e20 (irq 0000), write: ch 0e21 (irq 0001) proto: 0
You are running "ash", a Bourne-shell clone. The root filesystem is
a RAM disk or floppy disk. The hard disk filesystems are mounted under
"/target". The editor available to you on this floppy is "nano-tiny".
It's very small and easy to figure out - sorry but "vi" and "emacs"
wouldn't fit. To get an idea of what Unix utilities are available to
you, run "ls /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin". The key combination
Alt-F1 switches to the first console window, and Alt-F2 switches to the
second one.

ctc0: connected with remote side
#

   - At this time, I had to add default gateway to routing table in my case.
     192.168.10.23 is the Peer IP address.

# route add default gw 192.168.10.23

   - And addtitionally I had to change mtu value 32760 to 576. When I use
     default mtu value(32760), I couldn't see dbootstrap dialog box via
     telnet session.

# ifconfig ctc0 mtu 576

5) Initial setup

   - Telnet into your system as root (the root password is empty at this point).
   - Launched dbootstrap automatically.
   - You have to run "Attach a Disk" menu first.
   - At the "Configure Network" menu, "What is your IP peer address?",
     I had to change default value(192.168.10.25) to my real peer IP address.
   - At the "Install the Base System" menu, you have to open the second
     telnet session, and execute the below command.

# /usr/sbin/debootstrap --arch s390 sid /target http://http.us.debian.org:80/debian

     In my case, installation the base system was failed whenever I used
     dbootstrap dialog box.
   - After the following messages are displayed on the second telnet session,
     execute the below command and run "Install the Base System" option on
     the first telnet session again.

Setting up klogd (1.4.1-2) ...
Stopping kernel log daemon: klogd.
Starting kernel log daemon: klogd.

Setting up sysklogd (1.4.1-2) ...
Stopping system log daemon: syslogd.
Starting system log daemon: syslogd.

I: Successfully completed
#
# rm /target/etc/localtime

   - You should select a distribution as "unstable: 'sid'".
   - Run "Make System Bootable" menu and exit dbootstrap via the "Reboot
     the System" option from the first telnet session.
     following messages are displayed on the second telnet session.
   - Reboot the newly installed from the DASD on which it was installed.

6) Running base-config

   - Telnet into the newly installed machine as root user, at this time
     you can enter without password.
   - Launch base-config automatically, and answer the questions appropriately.

     After successful termination of base-config the installation of
     your Debian S/390 system is finished.