Re: Russian Encoding Methods

On 2002.05.20 at 13:53:33 -0400, Crouch, Harold L. wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> My native tongue is English (United States).  I want to be able to work with
> both the English and Russian alphabets on my computer, and to be able to
> send and receive e-mail in the Russian language.
>
> The first task is to choose the correct encoding method.  I understand that
> my choices are KOI-8R, UTF-8 (Unicode), ISO-8859-5 or CP-1251 (Windows).
> Would someone please tell me which of these encoding methods is most
> popular.

It depends by what you mean under "most popular".

Among Unix users and in news/email sytems KOI8-R is most popular.

Among computer users at all - Windows (CP1251) is more popular.
BTW, it has some advantages - it contains some punctiation signs
like double angle quotes which are quite common in russian typography,
but are missing from koi8-r.

And UTF-8 is definitiely encoding of future.

Really you don't need to choose. For instance I'm now running
on the same desktop xterms with all three mentioned encodings.
I use KOI8-R for mail/news clients, CP1251 for editing HTML files
and UTF-8 for editing XML files.

System is Debian/Potato.

--
Victor Wagner			vitus@ice.ru
Chief Technical Officer		Office:7-(095)-748-53-88