Rails6 package transition

Hey everyone,

I am a Debian Contributor, with participating mostly as a Debian Go
Packaging team [1]. These days, I did send some patches for some Ruby
libraries as my Debian Ruby team participations.

[1] https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?email=jmkim%40pukyong.ac.kr

Now, I'm interested on "Ruby on Rails", and I'm going to upgrade it to
6.0.0 in Debian.

Rails 6 introduces two new frameworks:
 * actionmailbox: incoming emails router; separated from actionmailer.
 * actiontext: rich text viewer and editor.

Although these frameworks are not used in Debian yet, I'm sure there
will be some new or updated packages dependent on these frameworks after
the transition work is done.

At this time, Ruby on Rails 6.0.0 stable version is not released yet.
For now, 6.0.0.rc1 was released the end of last month, I'm going to start
the works with rc1.

Now I'm proposing the tasks [1]:
 1. Patch, upgrade, and upload the acting-needed Rails dependencies [2]
    to experimental.
 2. Upgrade and upload rails to experimental.
 3. Patch all the reverse-dependencies [3] and upload to experimental.
 4. Migrate all the packages from experimental to unstable

By doing the task 4, patching the Rails 5-based apps to compatible with
Rails 6 is needed. The list of these apps (and libraries) in Debian are
[3]. It would be helpful reading the [4] when making the patch. With
patching them, I'm planning to forward the patches to upstream.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Rails6
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Rails6/DependenciesTransition
[3] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Rails6/ReverseDependenciesTransition
[4] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Rails6/RailsBreakingChanges

The initial idea of this work was proposed by my mentor, Sruthi Chandran,
as a Ruby GSoC project [5].

I had submitted the proposal to this project a month ago, and it was
selected as a Ruby GSoC 2019 project (not Debian GSoC). The full my
proposal is available on the GSoC project page [6], or a direct link [7].

The mentors of this project are: Sruthi Chandran and Tessy Joseph John.

[5] https://github.com/rubygsoc/rubygsoc/wiki/Rails6-Package-Transition-in-Debian
[6] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/6363542624665600
[7] https://jmkim.page.link/gsoc-2019-proposal-pdf

During the GSoC period (and sure, afterwards! :D), I'll do my best and do
hard work for these upgrading transitions.

I'm going to use Debian Wiki page [8] as my task tracker for this project.

[8] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Rails6

Any kind of reviews or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

--
Jongmin Kim

OpenPGP key located at https://jongmin.dev/pgp
OpenPGP fingerprint: 012E 4A06 79E1 4EFC DAAE  9472 D39D 8D29 BAF3 6DF8