Re: Checklist for uploading new versions

On 22/07/16 at 20:28 +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> On 07/10/2016 03:46 PM, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Last two uploads of ruby-grape and ruby-rouge broke gitlab. Please
> > ensure reverse dependencies don't break when uploading new versions.
>

> ruby-json upload just broke rails and a whole lot of dependencies.

>  ruby-activesupport : Depends: ruby-json (< 2.0) but 2.0.1+dfsg-1 is to
> be installed
>
> One sample failure
> https://ci.debian.net/data/packages/unstable/amd64/r/ruby-validate-url/latest-autopkgtest/log.gz

Hi,

yesterday on IRC:
23:29 < lucas> long time without doing any ruby packaging, let's hope I didn't break the world

Looks like I did :/

The failure you quoted is about a strict dependency. Do you know if it's
justified? The changes on ruby-json's side are fairly small. Also it
seems that the strict dependency was dropped from the gemspec (it's not
there anymore in version 1.0.2 of validate_url).

Sorry about that, but before reverting, we should probably evaluate what
is the exact damage: it's not reasonable to stick to older version just
because other packages have unjustified(?) strict dependencies.

Lucas