Re: RFS: ruby-rkerberos 0.1.2

Cédric,

Just wanted to follow up - can you take a look at the updated package?

-Sam

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Sam Kottler <sam@kottlerdevelopment.com> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Cédric Boutillier <cedric.boutillier@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Sam,

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 02:06:04PM -0400, Sam Kottler wrote:
> Hi!

> The following packages are ready to be uploaded (I also verified the points
> listed on http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Packaging#Requesting_Sponsorship
> ).

> Is someone willing to sponsor them?

>   ruby-rkerberos 0.1.2

> Here is the page on mentors.debian.net -
> https://mentors.debian.net/package/ruby-rkerberos.

I had a quick look at your package. Here are a few comments that could
allow you to improve your package:

naive question from someone with little knowledge about Kerberos: how
does it compare to ruby-krb5-auth?

They are distant cousins. rkerberos broke away from ruby-krb5-auth about 2 years ago and they've diverged really far since then.

debian/copyright:
 - you indicate Artistic 2.0 for the license, but the text in this
   paragraph refers to GPL-2+.
 - unless you have a strong opinion about the license you use,
   use the same license as upstream as it makes easier distribution of
   your work.

I've changed the debian/* copyright to Artistic 2.0.

 - the only place where the license is indicated is the gemspec
   metadata. Maybe ask upstream to include the text of the license in
   the source

I submitted an issue - https://github.com/domcleal/rkerberos/issues/2

debian/control:
 - there is a commented line below Depends: field which can be removed.

Removed.

 - there is no mention of Ruby in the long description.

Added.

 - Vcs-* fields are commented. If you consider maintaining this package
   under Ruby team's umbrella, uncomment those fields, and ask to join
   the team on Alioth and import the package to the team repository

Despite already being in the team on alioth I can't SSH into git.debian.org or clone with my username. It's just denying my key and is solely trying pubkey authentication, there's no prompt for my password. Is there something else I need to do to get access?

debian/ruby-rkerberos.docs
 - remove the first line and uncomment the second to include the README
   in usr/share/doc/ruby-rkerkeros

Done.

tests:
  - tests are run but fail:
          /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/dependency.rb:247:in `to_specs': Could not find test-unit (>= 0) amongst [] (Gem::LoadError)
    A build-dependency on ruby-test-unit is missing. You'll need to
    package ruby-dbi-dbrc (http://rubygems.org/gems/dbi-dbrc) if you want
    to run all the tests (test_kadm5.rb needs it).

I've submitted an ITP for ruby-dbi-dbrc and ruby-sys-admin and submitted builds to mentors.debian.ent for both. I'll send a RFS here right after I hit send on this email.

  - all tests have a "require 'rubygems'" and "gem 'test-unit'" . You
    should patch them out
    with quilt (and add a DEP-3 header to the patch
    http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/)

Done.

  - do not ignore test failures in debian/rules

The test failures are still ignored because they can't pass until ruby-dbi-dbrc is available.

lintian gives some messages:
P: ruby-rkerberos source: debian-control-has-unusual-field-spacing line 5

Fixed.

I: ruby-rkerberos: hardening-no-fortify-functions usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/rkerberos.so
I: ruby-rkerberos: hardening-no-fortify-functions usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.9.1/x86_64-linux/rkerberos.so
I: ruby-rkerberos: extended-description-is-probably-too-short

I've added a bit more to the description about the gem's origins.

Cheers,

Thanks so much for the review! I've updated the package and uploaded it to mentors.debian.net again.